Get Ready for Springbrook's
Class of '83 40th Reunion!
Reunion Date/Time: Saturday, Sept. 23, 2023, 7pm-11pm
Location: The Bethesdan Hotel, Tapestry Collection by Hilton
*Hurry – ticket sales end Sept. 20th! Countdown ’til the Reunion….
Looking Forward to Seeing You!
Did You Know….
- Springbrook was constructed in 1960 and named after the upper Northwest Branch spring-fed tributary that runs next to its property.
- Dr. Thomas Marshall became the 2nd Springbrook principal in 1963. He was still our Principal in 1983 – 20 years later!
- The 1983 class consisted of 471 students.
In 2022, the senior graduating class enrollment was only 360 (but 9th grade had 543!)!
(According to US News.com)
- And we were still taking the Typewriting class to learn to type!
Our kids have no idea!
1983 Remember When….
- A U.S. stamp was 20¢, a gallon of gas was $1.25, a movie ticket was $3.15, & minimum wage was $3.35.
- Ronald Reagan was the president for his 1st term.
- We said things like…
Gnarly, Dude/Dudette, Like totally, Grody, Gag me with a spoon.
- In style…
Members Only jackets, Original Jams (yup – I had a pair), Reeboks hightops (had that too), Guess jeans (of course!), Swatch watches, Wayfarer sunglasses (still wear them! Classic!).
- What we listened to….
Earth Wind & Fire, Van Halen, Michael Jackson, AC/DC, The Police, Bad Company, Electric Light Orchestra, Queen, Commodores, Eye of the Tiger, Flashdance – even our kids love our 70s/80s music!
- What we watched…
Dallas, Dynasty, Magnum P.I., Dukes of Hazard, Three’s Company, Alice, The A-Team, Cheers, Knight Rider, and Archie Bunker (no way that show would fly now!).
Stripes, Porkys, Fast Times at Ridgemont High, 48 hours, & Flashdance was huge! Trading Places is still funny today (stream it)!
- Arcade games/Gaming…
– The computer era was starting and Pac-Man was a BIG DEAL! Released in 1980 and within 7 years, the Guinness World Records acknowledged the game as the “Most Successful Coin-Operated Game” in the world (according to Pac Man History).
– The Atari came out in 1977 and in 1983, the Atari 2600 was $189.95 -equivalent to $850 in 2021 (according to Thales).
When was the last time you reread your yearbook? What was the funniest thing someone wrote?
The Floor Plan
This is what we remember - before the school was renovated in the early 1990s and reopened in 1994!